Weather

MARYVILLE, MO KE0SBX QTH

Sunday, January 29, 2023

A Great Day for Ham Radio

Yesterday couldn't have gone any better than it did - I made two SSB contacts using only 10W of power and a wet noodle!

The first station I called was a special station. K3S is based on the world's first nuclear-powered boat, the Savannah. Savannah is currently docked and decommissioned near Baltimore, Maryland, and is recognized as a National Historic Landmark. According to the K3S QRZ page, January 28th is a significant day:

"Radio Operator Jack Binns sent a CQD (former SOS) message from [the] RMS Republic on January 23, 1909, after Republic was rammed by the Italian liner SS Florida. Republic subsequently sank, but Binns' CQD and continuous wireless work [resulted in] a successful rescue of all aboard except two killed in the collision."

It took me 3 tries to get through to K3S. The station's operator was Ted and he gave me a much-improved signal rating of 5x3. He was coming in around 5x8 or so. It was really amazing to work this station due to the special occasion, but at the same time, I also was just scanning around the bands. K3S held a QSO with me on 21.3137.

Later, towards the end of the day, I called CQ on 15m again. As soon as I sent out my third CQ call, N1IIC came right back. Fortunately, he told me that I was extremely modulated, which means my mic gain was too much. It's not very nice to overmodulate, so I turned it down. I guess you really don't need that much mic gain even for 10W. He came in at a 5x5. N1IIC QSOed with me on 21.3680. We had a good talk, I told him where my QTH was at and that I had been hearing RTTY on every band I was on. January 28th was also when the British Isles were hosting a RTTY contest, which took over almost every band. It's so beautiful to hear so many RTTY stations.

In addition to this, I will be updating my station (again!) with another radio provided by HRO - the Yaesu FT-891. If you haven't heard the news already, Yaesu is discontinuing the FT-817/818 line of radios. This looks like a good replacement for the cost as you will get 100W out in a smaller package. 

Until then, stay tuned for a review!

No comments:

Post a Comment