Weather

MARYVILLE, MO KE0SBX QTH

Friday, April 01, 2022

The Michigan Mighty Mite!

 How many parts does it take to get on the air? 10? 20? 100? In the case of the Michigan Mighty Mite, you only need a whopping 7! That's right, 7 parts and you've got yourself a working transmitter. This design has been around for a while and comes from the minds of Ed Knoll, W3FQJ, and Tom Jurgens, KY8I. Here's a circuit diagram of the transmitter itself:

As you can see, there's not too many parts! I plan on making one for 40 meters and in addition to CW, I plan on using - you guessed it - Feld Hell. In the future, I might add on AM phone capabilities, but that'll be for a later time. Plus, QRP works well when you're in CW mode.

Some construction notes: The transistor can be any NPN type. Use anything from a 2N2222 to a BD139. For the coils, wind then over a pill bottle former or any 1/4" diameter former. L1 will have 14 turns tapped at 7, and L2 will be 4 turns over L1. As an added bonus, you can add a visual "sidetone" LED by winding 2 additional turns on the former. The energy given off of L1 should radiate to the LED coil and light. In addition to a visual aid, this will also help you tune the radio properly. Turn the variable capacitor until the LED glows the brightest.

So how do I plan on building this? What should you use? I've always wanted to make my own PCB boards, so I decided to look it up. Turns out, making your own is easy! I have plenty of the resources already and I only need a few things from Amazon. I'll be using designs from YouTuber DXExplorer (His channel is right here!). Ciprian built his version of the MMM using his own fabricated PCBs, and I must say that he did an excellent job! He also has a video explaining how he makes his PCBs, so hop on over to his channel and check it out!

Until we meet again, stay strong and stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment