Weather

MARYVILLE, MO KE0SBX QTH

Monday, May 20, 2024

Putikeeg Key Review - Your first CW key

 When I first got in to ham radio, I never thought too much about CW. At the time, I was glad that the requirement for copying Morse was tossed out. As I've gotten older and more seasoned in the hobby, I've come to appreciate CW and it's beginning to become one of my favorite modes.

Hams who are serious CW enthusiasts will spend hundreds, and sometimes thousands, on refined Morse Code keys. As someone who is more of a rudimentary kind of person, I prefer simplicity - the less adjustments needed, the better. Over the years I've 3D printed a key and crafted one from a clothespin. Both worked, but lacked the charm of a key like a J-38 or an old mini Soviet key.

In recent years, cheap yet promising keys hit the market from a manufacturer by the name of Putikeeg. These keys were described as being crafted from 6061 aluminum and came in straight key and paddle configurations. While I really wanted a paddle, I had some money set aside for a CW straight key. So, I took the plunge and ordered one from Amazon.

And, here is my review.

Background

The key I ordered from Putikeeg is labeled as the "Cybertruck" key. It is a camel-back design, with a small knob and two adjustment screws. It comes in various colors but I ordered it in grey.

Nice, right? In watching YouTube videos and browsing eHam forums, this key and the brand have all around great reviews! Users appreciate the ease of use and rigidity of these keys, and many users keep them. So let's see if these keys are all that they add up to.

Unboxing and Thoughts

First and foremost, this key feels excellent! It feels durable and well-built, and is completely metal. It is light yet solidly built. They have also included a 3.5mm "aux" type cord which I feel is very helpful. The anti-slip pads on the bottom are very nice and provide an anti-slip measure for when QSOs get intense.

Despite it being smaller in size, I think it fits me perfectly. I appreciate the adjustment screws and the minute increments of adjustment makes it very nice to use. I think this will find a nice spot on the operating desk next to the 891. And I think it will also find a nice place in the field too with my MFJ Cub or any other rig I take outdoors.

Overall, I am VERY happy with the build quality, and am especially surprised that 6061 aluminum is so strong! I would highly recommend this key and the Putikeeg line of keys. They are inexpensive but don't trade off performance or quality. Also, if you don't like the style of knob, Putikeeg offers other knobs, especially one that looks like the J-38 knob. Places such as Amazon and eBay carry these keys for a bargain that is just too good to pass up. So, if you're looking for an inexpensive Morse key, consider purchasing one of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment