Weather

MARYVILLE, MO KE0SBX QTH

Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Winlink: When you NEED to send email

 A few days ago I was introduced to the magical world of Winlink. Winlink works no different than APRS, other than the fact that it forwards your messages, either through the internet or via radio relay. It's good to have in case you lose internet and/or cell phone service, and messages pass along relatively fast.

The best thing about Winlink is that you can send it to an outside domain, it doesn't have to be a winlink.org domain. I can send emails perfectly (via telnet and HF) to my personal account. Unfortunately, because Winlink has to follow FCC laws, emails sent from Winlink are NOT encrypted, so don't send passwords, social security numbers, or medical stuff... you get the point.

Winlink is free, but the free version has some limitations. The creators also recommend that you register your product, which is easy to do. The good news is that it is relatively inexpensive to own with a one-time registration fee. In addition, if you want to use the virtual TNCs to their fullest extent, the price is about $70. Again, that is a one-time fee.

You do get your own email address, but do bear in mind you MUST be a licensed operator if you use Winlink. My email address is KE0SBX@winlink.org if you'd like to send me some fan mail hihi.

So what can I do besides email?

Winlink has the capability to send all sorts of data and information. As of now, I have the capability to send to my personal email as well as other peoples' email addresses. Right now, I am trying to see if my Wii has the capability to send and receive, but as of right now, it just receives my messages. It's a start, but we're not quite there yet!

This service can work on the HF as well as the VHF bands. That's right, even your little handheld Baofeng can send emails to someone halfway across the globe! Winlink has the capability to do Packet, PACTOR, ARDOP, VARA HF/VHF, and it can even connect to the Iridium satellite network! WINMOR was once supported but has since been decommissioned. While it's generally discouraged, you can also send files like pictures and videos over Winlink. As a reminder, just like regular emails, you are limited on the message size. That includes text and any files you choose to include. Remember that the bigger your email size, the more bandwidth it takes up.

Where can I find Winlink activity?

Generally speaking, Winlink activity is found on 80 through 20 meters primarily, but there are some nodes that operate on the higher HF frequencies. I've been successful on the TS-660, but have yet to try on my FT-891 since I don't have my audio interface cables.

Winlink sounds very similar to dial-up internet, and in fact functions in the exact same way. Handshaking is lightning fast - once your transceiver receives a handshake signal, it sends data immediately. I'm not joking, there is absolutely no time to key the microphone if you're sending it that way (I don't recommend that at all!). I don't consider a data exchange a QSO, but if you do, that's cool I guess. It's your preference.

How do I get started?

VARA HF is a good mode to start out on. It takes on average 5 minutes to send information back and forth, which is fast for ham radio data exchange if you're not considering FT8. The best thing about Winlink is that you can use it on your Android and Apple phone. Unfortunately, Linux and Mac are not supported but can be used if you run the WINE emulator. The developers of Winlink put it very plainly if you are running WINE - you are on your own. I could write every little detail about Winlink, but see winlink.org if you're looking for more information and to download the Winlink client.

What will be of the Wii?

I'm not sure but I haven't given up hope. As I mentioned, I can receive emails on the Wii but I can't send emails from the Wii to my Winlink inbox. I hope to get this remedied soon, but if not, that's okay - it's not important. It'd be cool, though. 

I promise that I'll discuss how to get email, the weather, the news, and most of the old functionality of the Wii back in the next post. I kind of need a tiny break from all the ham stuff. I might have to make an entirely different page for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment