Weather

MARYVILLE, MO KE0SBX QTH

Friday, September 09, 2022

Learning CW: How Difficult is it? PART 2

With the recent purchase of my MFJ Cub, I've decided to bite the bullet and commit myself to learn Morse Code. 

In a previous article, with the same title, I described my process of learning CW. Here's the problem - I'm just as guilty of procrastination as you are and I never did it. I still haven't done it... and I'm over here with anywhere from 2 to 4 hours of free time during the day.

I visit LCWO.com, but not every day, or even once every month for that matter. To learn Morse Code, you'll need to practice daily. Treat it like a school course: practice at the same time at your own pace. If you aren't getting a letter or two down, you can always come back. And don't spend 4 hours on it - only 15 or 20 minutes will suffice.

On my Thanksgiving vacation when I visited HRO in Phoenix, I was given a resource that has proven to be invaluable in my quest. It was a book entitled "The Art & Skill of Radiotelegraphy," by William G. Pierpont, N0HFF. It's about 200 pages long with an infinite amount of information, tips, and even etiquette while sending. Here's the number one line that I live by (especially as a marching band member):

It's not how FAST you can do it, it's how WELL you can do it

It's not about how fast you can send Morse Code. Sending at 60 wpm is impressive, but can you copy at 60 wpm? Chances are, no. No one can. Don't even tell me you can because you can't. Some claim they can, but it hasn't been proven to me, and where I'm from, seeing is believing. 

For me, I'm perfectly fine sending at 10 to 15 wpm, and it's a goal I'd like to work toward. With enough practice, I could get to 20 or even 30 wpm, but I'll settle for 10 to 15 wpm. At this point, I could only copy at about 5 wpm and I could send at that speed too. I'd need a chart though.

Here's the problem with charts - using a chart is a deadly sin of CW!!! It distracts you and delays your sending and receiving. NEVER use a chart - it's best to memorize. In this essence, you'll be learning a new language. 

Take this example: An underprepared person brings a Spanish to English dictionary on their Mexican vacation. Because they are relying solely on the dictionary, it makes a conversation or looking for directions awkward and choppy. In some countries, not learning the national language is considered disrespectful. Those who have taken Spanish or who have learned Spanish can carry on fluent and fluid conversations with someone who doesn't speak English well. This is what you should strive for - fluency and flow, no matter the speed. You'll mess up many times and may fail miserably, but that's the best thing about learning!

There has been a discrepancy on whether one should learn on a straight key or paddles. For now, I think a straight key is appropriate. It is manual and will let you send it at your own pace. Keyers have precise speed settings and remember if you can't send it that fast, you won't be able to copy that fast. Automatic keyers will also make learning on a straight key much harder. 

Why would anyone want to learn it if it's so "hard?"

Morse Code is very narrow in bandwidth. Making a contact with it is simple despite band conditions, pileups, noise, broadcast interference, etc. In a situation where the bands were crowded with SSB or digital, narrow modes will always save the day. This includes Morse Code, Feld Hell, and even PSK31. 

Having the knowledge of a rudimentary means of communication that could save your life or others' lives one day is amazing. I've heard many hams who've said that they refuse to learn Morse and can get away fine without it.

But why? The number one response: it's hard. I don't have the time for it.

We all indeed live very busy lives, but we all have some in-between time. Morse Code will be hard only if you make it hard. 

What makes me sad is this, and these are some good reasons why: We live in a time where FT8 and other digital modes are king, and unfortunately, CW is going by the wayside. A lack of interest is only driving the nail deeper. In the next 10 or 20 years, Morse Code may become defunct mode. Nautical stations have already ceased Morse Code operations and the armed forces (except for Russia and Poland, from time to time) got rid of it decades ago. In addition to this, the FCC removed the 5 wpm requirement for licensee exams in 2007. 

Where I think it's going

Whenever I turn on my Kenwood, I always go to the lower portion of the bands, and small dots and dashes begin to emerge from the speaker. This only fuels my hope and desire to learn and hopefully master the art of CW. It makes me think that these operators still have hope for the mode. Maybe CW isn't dying after all, and maybe it's starting to re-emerge.

Times are changing and I've seen some things that were popular in the 80s come back. I've seen music bands who disbanded decades ago reform, mostly for another album or two. Heck, DeLorean Motor Company came back! Who knows? Will CW make a comeback? In a time when things are starting to come back, I sure hope it does. 

Got any tips for me?

  • Keep trying - Nobody gets it on the first try. 
  • Use your resources - Consult another ham or go online for sites that offer free CW practice. Again, LCWO.com is who I use. LCWO uses the Koch method, which is a way of learning the sounds of the letters.
  • Listen in - Fire up that shortwave, tune to the lower parts of the bands and listen to a QSO. If it's slow enough for your comfort, you can try to decipher what the operators are saying to one another. Doing this will give you practice for on-air operations.
  • Buy a code practice oscillator kit or build your own - Doing this will ensure that you have some way of utilizing CW while you're off-air. Sit and pound the key for 5 or 10 minutes, practicing a group of letters.
  • It's best to receive before one transmits. You should learn how to copy before you can transmit.
  • When you're ready, go for it. Take that leap and send out a CQ call. Remember to send at a pace that you can copy!

For now, that's all I have to offer. Hope to do some CW QSOs soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment